May 13, 2012

34 weeks!

Heading into my 35th week!!  I can't believe it; time is just flying by!  I've been telling Eric that people already clear the hallways at work, like "here she comes!"  But really, I think they are just moving so I don't have to walk around them (or they don't want to knock me down).  But yesterday morning I did stop traffic at the corner outside our house.  Eric & I were out for a walk & stopping at garage sales and as we stopped at a corner to look closer at a sign, the cars all stopped thinking we wanted to cross the street.  Remember how Saskatoonians love to stop & let you cross?

I also am baffled by the amount of food I spill on my stomach!  Before I was pregnant, did I just spill food on the floor a lot & not notice?  I can understand not being able to sit as close at the table, but it happens when I'm standing too.


Lindsey, a friend from college, recommended to attend as many baby things as possible to be with other pregnant women and spent a lot of time with Eric as a way to celebrate pregnancy.  I thought it was great advice, so I think of that often.  Two of my co-workers are due at a similar time, so I've been so thankful to be able to talk with them everyday and discuss "baby" and symptoms.


 We've attended the prenatal classes and saw a slide show tour of the hospital of the ins & outs of what to expect.  I've also attended a few baby events/fairs to prepare.  The hospital with the maternity ward is quite old; it certainty won't be like the spa-like rooms they were promoting in Champaign.  The delivery rooms are private, but the post-delivery rooms may be shared with 3-4 other couples/babies.  We can request a semi-private or private (& our back up insurance will pay for most if not all), but they don't guarantee the rooms.  The chance is also smaller in June, being a popular baby delivery month. The meals are also very basic...cold cereal, sandwiches, & soup.  While the convenience perks are not as common here, it sure still beats paying for the actual event.

One thing I think is neat is a home care nurse will come to our house sometime during the first week after the baby is born.  

In our class, they reported the c-section rate in town to be ~25%, slightly lower than the U.S.  My doctor believes her percentage is a bit lower, which brings some comfort.  She estimates the baby is around 4.5lbs right now, so we need a bit more time yet.  The baby needs the time to grow a bit more, but we also need the time to prepare.....stay tuned!

--My photographer directed me to pose like this--

4 comments:

  1. You look so beautiful! It's smooth sailing from here. Just make sure to listen to your body. Everyone under the sun is going to give you a gazillion pieces of advice, but just listen to your body. Everything else will work out fine, trust me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heather- you are looking great!! I can't believe you only have 5 more weeks! You better get eating and fatten that baby up :) Take care,Gail

    ReplyDelete
  3. You look AMAZING! So excited for you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looking great! Your photographer did a good job! Sue F.

    ReplyDelete

Please comment & say hi!