| Showing off her parachute move at at friend's house |
She has quite a feisty personality and entertains us with lots of babbling and movements. She's very determined, curious, fun, and sweet. She started a new sound this week that isn't so cute, but is really funny. She sounds like a sick goose or the sound you would make if you were imitating the buzzer at the end of a basketball game. It makes us laugh a lot.
This past week she has greatly improved her sitting skill. It's so crazy how babies can all of a sudden do something new. One day she was able to sit. Of course, she still tips over often but seems to be enjoying playing from a new perspective. She is making some distance scooting on her tummy, moving about 5 feet, so we really need to get a gate fast and rearrange some household dangers. I guess the extreme drooling from last month must have been preparing for stomach for digestion rather than teething because, so far, no teeth.
On the first of the month, she tried her first solid food of pureed avocado. She loves eating and grabs the spoon to bring it to her mouth. Now that she is 6 months old, we will slowly keep adding new foods. There are so many theories about what to feed and when, it's hard to know what to believe. For example, the Baby Weaning theory states that a 6 mo. old's digestive tract is ready for any foods and we could give her a stick of cucumber or sweet potato and she could eat it herself. It is hard to know where to start. We'll just do our best and experiment with tastes here and there. Food at her age is mostly for experimenting rather than nutrition anyway.
As I've said before, neither Eric or I had spent time with babies in the past. I took a couple child development classes and held a few friend's babies, but just for a few minutes (until they cried). When I saw a baby in public, I honestly didn't pay too much attention to them and I certainly had no idea how much planning had gone into that mom being in public or that she was keeping track in her head when her baby last ate or had their diaper changed. But, the planning is getting easier as she becomes slightly more predictable with eating and sleeping schedules.
| Love those tiny little hands holding up the bottle |
A graduate student and her boyfriend graciously babysat for us on Thursday night so we could attend a professional production of The Sound of Music. The play was spectacular! Annabel was happy, content, and drank her bottle which was the opposite of last time they watched her a month ago.
Yesterday we did a little Christmas shopping. We watched Elf and The Family Stone last night to get our mind off all of the tragedy. I love the Christmas movies where all of the family travels home and stays at the parent's house. Growing up, I thought that looked fun, but didn't think we would live far away. Well, traveling it is. And of course the visits are not as romanticized as portrayed in the movies, but they are similar in many ways.
Three sleeps (that's how they say it here) until we fly for Christmas. We are so blessed to be able to travel and see our families and friends. The only thing I am worried about is if Annabel will get enough attention. :)
Merry Christmas to all and to all a good night.
Oh! How I miss the little hands holding the bottle. I must have 20 pictures of Gwen holding her little bottles. Annabel is just SO precious!
ReplyDelete