May 12, 2013

Happy Mother's Day!


This Mother's Day was quite different than last year.  I was 8 months pregnant, wearing a sundress, wedge sandals and heading to church.  Eric and I were talking as we walked in the dirt parking lot and I lost my balance as I stepped in a pothole.  Down I went and caught myself with my hands and then on my way up, I went down again landing on my knees and hands and even hitting my chin a little.  Eric said it happened so quickly and he tried to catch me on my second fall, but I wasn't entirely very "grab-able."  Hardly anyone saw it, but I was embarrassed and mad at myself for wearing the wedge sandals.  I was all shook up so we went straight home, I laid down, and made sure everything was okay.  I never hit my stomach with the fall, but at that stage in pregnancy, I didn't want anything to risk early contractions.  After I rested, we decided to go to the next service, where they ended up handing out carnations to all of the mothers.  I stayed seated (in the back row, like a good Lutheran) when an older man in the congregation told me to go and get one.  I said, "Oh, that's okay, I'm not a mother yet" and he kept insisting and others joined in insisting, so I went up to get a carnation.  With heightened emotions from the earlier event, I started tearing up on my way there and was bawling to the point I had to leave the sanctuary on my walk back!!


This year I made it to church with no falls, had a successful bake sale for our church mom group, and enjoyed a sweet baby.  My emotions were a bit more in line this year and I accepted my carnation with pride!  I really, really enjoy being a mother and can't wait for many more days to celebrate the privilege!  Eric has been working to try to get Annabel to say 'mama,' but so far she just looks at him and responds with 'dada' or looks at him like 'who is this person that you speak of?'   


I really wished we could see family today, especially to be with my mother on Mother's Day.  I know that is my least favorite part about living far from family; not seeing people on holidays.  We had gorgeous weather today, so Annabel and I went for a walk to the store (our family's third trip to the store today---geez).  I was able to take a nap and Eric is making barbequed ribs, red potatoes, and coleslaw for supper.

Happy Mother's Day to my mother and to Eric's mother!  And, Happy Mother's Day to all of our friends and family members and a prayer for those who wish to be mothers.  It really is a blessed gift.

2 comments:

  1. Happy Mother's Day Heather.. Being a Mom is truly a blessed gift like you mentioned. Love the picture of you and Annabel sleeping. It is a wonderful picture of mom and daughter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the photo of the two of you sleeping! I wish I could get Viktor to nap with me, but he just gets too excited that we're "cuddling" and wants to have a tickle-fest instead. And then chase the cats. Viktor also said "dada" first. I don't think he said mama until after 12 or 13 months, and it killed me. But now he says it all the time (and I never get tired of it).

    I think that 2nd Mother's Day (yes, you're a mom on Mother's Day even if you're in the pregnancy stage :)) is the point where you recognize how much your life has changed, for the better.

    I'm sorry you couldn't be with your own mom on Mother's Day, but it sounds like you found a nice church community!

    ReplyDelete

Please comment & say hi!