September 07, 2013

Europe Part 1: Prague

This past July, Eric had a conference scheduled in Poland.  I really wasn't planning on going until we found out friends were getting married in Prague the week before the conference.  We decided to take advantage of the opportunity and make a big trip out of it.  It was great timing as Annabel wasn't walking, I was off work, and we were traveling with other new parents (our friends Brent and Paola and their 6 month old Lucas were also going).  Our friend Cameron  joined the bunch and braved staying with two babies.  Both babies actually slept really well and were great travelers.  At one point during a castle tour, Annabel pointed Cameron out in the crowd so she could be held by him.    

I was a bit nervous pre-trip given all of the planning needed to take a one-year-old to Europe.  I emailed the bride a number of times who assured me that we would be in safe areas.  Turns out I was just nervous of the unknown and low and behold, Europeans have babies too!! 

Annabel did well on the flights.  On the overnight flight from Minneapolis to Paris, she only slept 2 hours, but she didn't cry either, so she just needed a lot of entertaining.  She did let out a few of her signature screeches about 4 am when the entire plane was sleeping.

Near Charles Bridge in Prague

Taking a much needed break from the sun.

View from Charles Bridge



We rode this eco-train from our place to the dinner the night before the wedding.  Annabel was really into The Little Red Caboose on our entire trip, so seeing all of the trains was exciting for her.

Paola and adorable Lucas

Cameron and Lucas

The Czech like a lot of head on their beer.
We attended Karl and Magda's beautiful wedding at the Rose Garden of Konopiste, which is about 45 minutes outside of Prague.  Karl and Eric met in grad school and he now lives in Norway.  Magda is from the Czech Republic. 


Czech traditional sharing of soup.
We enjoyed some traditional goulash, pork schnitzel, wild game, and excellent roasted vegetables at various places in Czech Republic.

Annabel was given this beautiful dress by Eric's cousin Janelle and her husband Tyler.  It was perfect for the occasion.  She slept through the entire wedding in her stroller, but enjoyed playing at the reception, which was partly outdoors. 

This little boy was so sweet with Annabel.  It showed you certainly don't have to speak the same language to have fun.

She quickly learned to bear crawl as the dress was hard to crawl in.









Franz Ferdinand's castle, the grounds where the wedding was held.  Franz Ferdinand was the man who was assassinated to start World War I.  "The shot heard around the world."  He was an avid, or obsessive, hunter.  He kept very detailed records of his hunts.  It is estimated that he bagged over 270,000 animals during his life.  

I still can't believe what a trooper Annabel was.  I suppose going for walks is one of her favorite things, but she would ride in here all day!  Some mornings she would point to the stroller, like "when do we get to go?"
Waiting to tour the castle



Our stroller fully reclined, but was also quite compact which was so crucial.  Annabel did so well napping on the go in it and switched on and off with riding, being carried, or riding in the carrier.  She especially wanted to ride in the carrier if she saw Lucas was. 



Annabel was really into plants, flowers, pigeons, horses, and dogs.  She pointed out almost every plant and flower we passed in the airports, train stations, and streets.  She often made us literally stop and smell the flowers.  The horse and carriages were so exciting, they often sent her legs and hands flapping!



Prague was beautiful.  The people were wonderful and everything went smoothly.  We were there for four nights and then we hopped on a train to Krakow, Poland. 

3 comments:

  1. I hope you enjoy Krakow, too! I spent quite a bit of time there and really enjoyed the people (and food, and beer..). I'm sure Annabel was a hit at the wedding :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! What an adventure! It sounds like everything went well. I'm so jealous! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Heather, beautiful pictures; reminds me of our trip to Prague. Danuta

    ReplyDelete

Please comment & say hi!