After a very long wait, we have reunited with our belongings & began arranging our new home. We are renting the main level of a house, with a brother & sister living below us (a bit younger than us; they are nice but I do not fore see us becoming great friends). Having a large deck, an awesome raspberry bush, and a yard have been welcomed perks. We’ve gotten a bank account, library cards, Canadian Identification cards, and applied for driver’s licenses. Attempted to get cell phones, but they wanted at $1500 down payment (reimbursable eventually) b/c we do not have Canadian credit and/or a driver’s license. We figured we could wait.
We’ve attended 3 churches so far, but haven’t decided on one yet. Eric has started working daily, working on his class syllabus & meeting with his research student. I have been continuing to organize & applied for my board exam (for Nov) & pre-board class. Quite a role change for me. It is something how when you are busy, you wish you weren’t & when you are not busy, you wish you were.
We’ve (well, I know I have) experienced a range of emotions with the move so far: excitement for new things, nervousness for new things, sadness away from family & friends, & uneasiness in whether we made the right decision. Eric reminds me that it’s hard to judge a place based on only three weeks & that I had a lot of the same feeling when we moved to Champaign. I suppose everyone has similar feelings wherever they live, not necessary if they made the right move, but if they made the right decision by not moving. One could analyze & overanalyze these thoughts forever.
sounds like you're settling in good. i agree with your last paragraph. i've moved quite a bit and my philosophy is that you can't judge a place until you've lived there at least 2 years...that's about how long it takes me to totally immerse myself in the community, make good friends, feel comfortable with my surroundings, and know my way around town!!
ReplyDelete