Before our move, a lot of people would say “moving to Canada, eh?” Pat & Audra even had a party with a cake that said "Good Luck, eh?" We have heard a few ehs here & there but, to our surprise, Saskatonians generally follow their sentences with hey? Vs. eh?. Interesting, hey? I kind of like it. But, no, we have not picked it up. Although, I think I've occasionally added a huh? for a long time. I tend to think we fit right in for the most part with our accent, figuring I was asked weekly at work in Champaign if I was from Canada. But a waitress has said to us “I can’t help but notice your American accent.” Another store clerk has said, “you're American, that’s awesome!” So I guess not all people hate Americans. :) The phrases “Right on” (vs. “ok”) & “No worries” (vs. “it’s alright”) are commonly used, which were also used a lot in New Zealand. Maybe part of the Queen’s casual English?
Some pronunciation has made us laugh a bit….process using a long “o,” which you’ve probably heard on the Canadian home shows. A strong “hawkey” vs. hockey. The Ma in Mazda is like the Ma in mass as opposed to the ma in Mazatlan. Spelling colour, favourite, cheque, tonnes, & I’m sure many others incorrectly may tip us off as non-Canadians. Other things to get used to…..Celsius, km, and deli items weighed in grams vs lbs. (I panicked a minute the first time at the deli & just said “I’ll take what you have cut there”).
It’s also fun that a lot of the food products have English & French labels, some have both & others have one or the other. I’m actually quite surprised the U.S. doesn’t have both English & Spanish on the labels. Maybe they do in the states closest to Mexico.
| Note the French translation of a German word. |
Great observations! Love that you took pictures to share of the food labels. Good girl! :) I use "eh" and "hey" all the time at the ends of my sentences. Why? I dunno, must be inherited from my Canadian Gramma. lol
ReplyDeleteI wonder if you think non-US labels are less distracting? When we lived in England, Cody and I both noticed the change in packaging. Everything seemed simpler, no "best ever" or "original" stamped all over the product... just white bread. We loved it. It made things seem more real and less hype to sell a product.
ReplyDelete