This photo was taken on Mother's Day after church. They showed a very nice Mother's Day video with the lights dim and then had the mothers go up in front to get a carnation. I just sat there because I'm not a mother yet, but an older man in our pew was gesturing for me to go up there and then another man said, "you're a mother-to-be, you need to go up there." For some reason this was very emotional for me and I was then crying when I got my carnation. It was just overwhelming to be in that category. Good thing we were sitting in the back like good Lutherans, so I was able to sneak to the hall for a few minutes to gain some composure. This pregnancy stuff is tough.
On a much less touching note, we are finally making progress on outfitting our future little one. I'm trying to keep it simple, but also be prepared. The last couple weekends we were hoping to make great strides, but after working all week, it's so exhausting to just keep on going with shopping and decision making. We purchased a car seat (Eric helped me pull the trigger and stop over- analyzing). At least this way the hospital will let us take the child home. They don't need to know if we are otherwise unprepared with the belongings....
We also picked out a stroller, which was a little challenging as there are only a few types with adjustable handles for our significant height difference and where Eric didn't kick the back axle. We've picked up a few onesies here & there and received some wonderful gifts of blankets, booties, and a little hat to get us started. We bought a few diapers, but I'm sure we will need many more for the first month. Still need to find a few outfits or sleepers for the baby's "take home" outfit....oh, and a crib may be a nice thought. Although we have a bassinet that we will use for the first couple months anyway. I found a changing table second hand for $30 that Eric would like to paint soon. We don't have any of the "little" things and still a few of the "big things," but maybe we can wait on some things. I wish we could do "try outs" for swings, bouncers, etc as they say not all babies like them.
It seems the bigger ticket items tend to be about $100-$200 more here than in the U.S., so hopefully we can purchase some items in August or have my parents bring a few things up with them.
I have been quite disappointed with the garage sales and the website Kijiji (like craigslist). The prices are just outrageous. It is almost comical what people try to sell on Kijiji...."I paid $180 for this last year...asking $160." Garage sales are charging $2-3 dollars each of any baby clothes which is just too much, especially when The Children's Place has sales at times for under $5.
But here we go......drumroll.....unveiling the nursery:
ha ha......
Actually it is starting to become not funny now that we are just down to weeks. I do, however, have a rug and curtain that I hope will look great!
Hahaha!!! Heather u r hilarious!But yes u have a time. Looking good also. When I read your blog-I read it in your voice,Which is still in my brain-that makes it funnier:) What color walls r going to be in the nursery? Pastels or primary t0 match rug and curtain!I love the "simple" idea for everything! One of the young couples in church have everything in the whole house,including the nursery-yellow & gray/white w/touches of black! Cute &classy tho:)
ReplyDeleteTake care-hope you have good baby showers!!! Get use to crying while pregnant-it's hormonal! No worries:) Love ya- Judy
Someone wished me a happy mother's day, too. I guess I have Chihuahuas, but it's really not the same.
ReplyDeleteSo for my $0.02 worth on your accumulation of Stuff: the baby will be fine. Babies have survived for millenia without boppies and swings and slings and whatnot. I'm sure you'll find/buy what you need when you need it.
Good luck with the final push! (Pun intended.)
One piece of advice: Have your bag packed EARLY. Even if you don't have the room ready or the crib bought, etc. When my water broke 4 days early, I hadn't even packed my bag and that is NOT the time to be looking for your contact case and a hairbrush, etc. I plan on getting my hair cut and toes done and have my bag packed 2 weeks early this time. Just in case we have another early one. (Though 4 days isn't considered "early" but it was before my due date and that was early enough for me!)
ReplyDeleteps. The Craigslist posting example was hilarious!
Heather- you made me laugh out-loud. Love and miss you guys a ton.
ReplyDelete