June 02, 2012

Say What? Canadian/Saskatoon Language

I've been compiling a few Canadian/Saskatoonian language differences; thought you might enjoy:
  • Process is pronounced with a long "o".
  • Semi, as in the truck or saying semi-retired, is pronounced "semy"
  • Instead of saying "I bathed (same a as in ate) in the tub,"  people say "I bathed  (same a as in apple) in the tub."
  • Instead of saying "I took a nap," people say "I had a sleep."  Or "did you have a good sleep last night?" vs. what I would say:  "Did you sleep well?"
  • They don't use the phrase "I about died."  One guy said when he visited the U.S. he thought people were just really over-reacting to something when they said that, but realized it is just a phrase.
  • A very commonly used phrase is "I am just played out," meaning worn out or worked hard.  I've heard co-workers & patients use that phrase often, daily for sure.   
  • When things are disorganized, it's always "a gong show."
  • Tennis shoes are called "runners."
  • Winter stocking hats are called toques and the older generation calls underwear gotch (I looked it up, thinking it must be an English word, but it's actually Ukrainian.)  Saskatchewan has a huge Ukrainian population.  In fact, the largest church in Saskatoon is the Ukrainian Orthodox church and their culture has brought the abundance of perogies and cabbage rolls   
  • I thought people were referring to their moms as "mum," but it turns out they are trying to say mom but it just sounds like mum to me.  

1 comment:

  1. As an English teacher, these kind of bits are always interesting to me. I don't think my students will come up against Saskatoon English too often, but it's interesting for me.

    ReplyDelete

Please comment & say hi!