Annabel Ilo Micheels
June 16, 2012
12:31 PM
7 lbs. 7 oz. 20 1/2 in.
I'm finally emerging from baby coma and have found a moment to tell the story of how Annabel came into this world.
I started having small contractions on the morning of Thursday June 14th. The contractions continued all night Thursday and through to Friday night. I had planned to work both Thursday and Friday, but called in as the contractions were 5, 10, 20 minutes apart with little consistency. However, on Friday, Eric had a faculty meeting so we went into the UofS so he could attend and assure there was quorum and I sat in his office in case we needed to head to the hospital. Eric got lots of points for that as few faculty bring their wife to the university to attend a faculty meeting when she is having contractions. Thankfully my water finally broke at home at 7:30 Friday night.
| Heading to the hospital. What a wonderful sign of God's Promise! |
The hospital was very quiet that Friday night. We arrived at the hospital around 8pm. I was admitted around 10 pm. Contractions were increasing and the epidural process went well, but then all night I never progressed past 6-7 cm. The doctors "called it" about 11 am on Saturday and we had Annabel Ilo via c-section at 12:31. She was 7 lbs. 7oz and 20 1/2 in. long. I couldn't
believe she was a girl! And I couldn't believe she had a full head of
auburn hair! During the procedure, they had Eric stand up to say "girl or boy." It was a such an amazing moment! Eric had thought she would be a girl; I had convinced myself we were having a boy. The staff was all yelling "look at all that hair." Eric was able to head over to the table to bring Annabel to me so the three of us could enjoy each other. The anesthesiologist took some amazing photos; I have looked through those photos a lot.
The c-section is an odd experience where I remember the event but some of it is a blur. But I was laying there so thankful that we were not there for any emergency reason and Annabel and I were both great coming out of it. The main thing I wish had happened differently would be to have family updated more frequently. Eric was able to Skype my parents and his mom right before we went to to operating room, but then everything was so busy and happened so fast (for us), that he couldn't get back to a computer until about 7:30. In the recovery room, he was busy with the nurses and Annabel while I was being monitored while trying to pay attention and soak in the moments. Our family and fiends told us they were quite worried after awhile!
I guess I had hoped for a private room too much, as
they try to give those who have a c-section a private room. I couldn't imagine trying to recover in the big open rooms with 4 families. A c-section "recovery" is a bit silly, as after any surgery you should get plenty of rest, not "over-do it," and eat well, but it is basically the opposite. They do not have a nursery at the hospital, so Annabel was with us every minute once we were in the room. It's a great experience that increased our confidence in caring for her, but it definitely adds to the exhaustion. Eric slept on a mattress on the floor where his feet hung about 3 feet off the end, and I use the word "slept" very loosely.
The c-section is an odd experience where I remember the event but some of it is a blur. But I was laying there so thankful that we were not there for any emergency reason and Annabel and I were both great coming out of it. The main thing I wish had happened differently would be to have family updated more frequently. Eric was able to Skype my parents and his mom right before we went to to operating room, but then everything was so busy and happened so fast (for us), that he couldn't get back to a computer until about 7:30. In the recovery room, he was busy with the nurses and Annabel while I was being monitored while trying to pay attention and soak in the moments. Our family and fiends told us they were quite worried after awhile!
They also pushed in
the wrong spot (my left rib) during the c-section, which caused
significant pain while in the hospital. One day I needed Eric to fully lift my upper body so I could sit at the edge of the bed. The nurses kept asking me how my
incision pain was and I would respond that it was nothing compared to
my rib pain. I think they thought I was the biggest wimp! They kept suggesting maybe it was muscle pain from the contractions or postural pain from nursing. Finally the obstetrician came and I told her about the
pain and she explained how her young resident pushed in the wrong spot. She was wondering if she would be hearing from me.
I ended up having an x-ray to check for fracture and abdominal ultrasound for my spleen, all negative...so I'm
assuming it was just bruised! (I did find out I am up to 6 or 7 small gallstones though). The strong pain didn't last more than two days, but I still feel a twinge here & there.
Annabel lost 10% of her weight while we were in the hospital, which increased to 16% by day 5 or so....we were supplementing with formula, and as
much breast milk as possible, thru a tube and she has been since been gaining weight. She is just past birth weight now. It's amazing how much she changes; her cheeks and stomach are starting to fill out. She has chosen 11pm-3 am as her party hour; sometimes crying or just alert, so hopefully that will change down the road....
All of this is so new for Eric and I, obviously. I read that most people have not spent a lot of time with a newborn when they have one themselves. She has such beautiful features. A lot of people have commented that she looks a lot like Eric, so he figures that must mean that people also think he's pretty cute!! The nurses oohed & ahhed over her hair color; they said it's rare to see auburn color. We have heard baby's hair color can change quite a bit (Eric and I were both blond, so I will not be surprised if it changes), but I hope it stays the same! I asked her if she stopped by God's salon to get the blond streaks and the pixie cut! We love all of the different faces she makes and there is even one cry that we both find very cute. We are also impressed by the frequency and force behind the poops!! We still giggle often about that....we had no idea! We can't wait to have her meet so many of her friends and family soon.| At home July 6, 2012 |
| 3 weeks old. On our way to get a passport photo! |
Beautiful!! I would love to Skype with u sometime so the babies can meet each other! Love the name too, Ilo is very unique. What's the story? Hope you are doing well and hear from u soon. Katie
ReplyDeleteBeautiful Heather and Eric! I was able to relate to the c-section part, Karyn my oldest arrived that way. Baylee then came VBAC. I had a chance to experience both styles of delivery. Enjoy, they grow so fast. We are waiting for September when my little grandson Xander will become a big brother. Karyn and Jordan are expecting a little girl, very exciting. Sending warm regards, Cousin Beth
ReplyDeleteCongratulations!!! What a beautiful little girl. We are so happy for you - enjoy each and every moment. You're going to be such great parents! Best wishes.
ReplyDeleteThanks so much for sharing your story - Annabel is such a sweet baby and so pretty!! Enjoy it all, and continue to share stories!! :)
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteHeather, she truly is so beautiful! Congratulations a million times over! You seem so happy and I enjoy reading your entries - you write them so well that I can literally hear your voice telling me all these things in a real conversation...to me it shows so much joy and passion in Annabel and your new family. Enjoy every moment - it does go by so fast! But she will continue to amaze you constantly. Many, many congrats and best wishes...and hugs from Chicago!
ReplyDelete- Christie
Good story-telling Heather. I can totally hear your voice and the excitement behind your words. Ya, when we brought Baby home, we're like "now what?" Hold, cuddle, kiss, and spoil that baby. They grow up so fast and before you know it they won't sit still long enough on Mama's lap anymore. Good job, you're quite the trooper! I believe God makes labor/delivery kinda fuzzy anyhow otherwise we wouldn't have more kids! :) Congrats to you both. She's BEAUTIFUL!
ReplyDeleteYou picked the best pictures, love them...well all pictures of Annabel are cute. :)
ReplyDeleteWhat a wonderful gift!! Thanks Heather and Eric for sharing this wonderful story! And thanks for making me... Not quite as scared to go through this!!
ReplyDelete