September 09, 2011

The book "Left Neglected"

   I just finished reading this book.




This book is quite popular, but I found a copy in the 'only 7-day checkout' area of the library.  I'm usually a fairly slow book reader, but if I am told to kick into high gear, I guess I can do it!

I enjoyed it.  It is a novel about a very busy mom, wife, & business woman who has a traumatic brain injury (No more revealed there than the back of the book).  The author studied neuroscience, and it looks like she did extensive research to write an accurate view of one's recovery.

One of my most rewarding parts of being a therapist has been seeing patients improve from Left Neglect.  I only saw it occasionally & we did not do all of the treatments they talk about in this book (although, maybe we should have), but I did see one patient go from not writing any part of the left side of the clock or drawing any part of the left side of a house to later really improving on that in the 3 mo. we worked together.  It was fun to show him exactly what he had done with the drawings in the past & really be able to see progress.  

This summer I also read The Help & The Hunger Games (Eric has also read both; we highly recommend them) & I am currently reading Wicked, but slowly.   I attempted Chelsea Handler's Vodka book, but couldn't get into it, which was a surprise to me since I find her quite funny.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please comment & say hi!