1. Exhibit A:
.
2. Recent NPR article:
Parenthood Got You Down? You're Not Alone
http://www.npr.org/blogs/babyproject/2011/08/30/139974665/parenthood-got-you-down-youre-not-alone?sc=fb&cc=fp3. Have not seen this movie, which I have heard is not very good, but during an interview for the movie SJP said something like "new parents should be scared, as parenting is the hardest, hardest job in the world." But she also said her kids are what " brings her joy in life..."
4. The Shape of a Mother
This site shares photos of post baby mothers. All say it's worth it. Yikes.
http://theshapeofamother.com/
5. BUT, I also saw this in a book a little while back & really like the part saying "we are biologically hardwired."
"Will Life Ever Be the Same?"
Most of know that parenting is demanding and requires great sacrifice--so much so that's it's hard to imagine that some of us actually volunteer for the job. It is extremely difficult to believe that the incredible power of loving a child will truly make all of the sacrifice and work worthwhile. But it does! Take it on faith if you must: you will become absolutely willing to give up everything, even your life, for your child. It goes beyond intellect: we are biologically hardwired to feel that way. You may think it will be hard to give up some of the things you love, but you will find that most of what you now think is so important will drop away quite painlessly when it's for the adorable creature you're head over heels in love with . .......furthermore you will eventually find or make the time for those things that are vital to you......Although the first three months or so of a baby's life are fairly time-consuming and exhausting.......the good news is that babies eventually develop a routine, and you'll find time to do many of the things you used to do.
BUT, I do know I DO NOT want to be that "old" couple we saw in a restaurant with their two little kids.
Life is backwards in general. Ideally we could live out retirement in our 20s and 30s when we are young and have a better chance of being healthy enough to enjoy it. I suppose some would say that's what high school and college are for.
ReplyDeleteI think this might finally be the year I pull the trigger on my Christmas card idea to send to all of my with-child friends whose lives aren't as empty as mine.
This pretty much sums it up:
http://xkcd.com/946/
Regarding #4:
ReplyDeleteLiving proof that baby battle scars don't happen to everyone! Not a stretch mark on this post-baby belly. I give all the credit to religiously using Burt's Bees Belly Balm, lol!