Other interesting things:
- baby onsies are called infant diaper shirts....at least that is how the advertisements labeled them!
- sweatshirts or hoodies are called bunnyhugs
- They do not say "Johnny went to the hospital." It's simply "Johnny went to hospital." Seems like "hospital" is used more like a verb than a noun. And "I go to University." While I was writing this I thought to look it up & found this explanation:
As for 'hospital', it's because it's a generic term, rather than referring to a specific location: a child 'goes to school', not to the school; a sick or injured person goes to hospital, not to the hospital.
Also, the feeling is mutual: those American English variants drive Brits up the wall, too. "Going to 'the hospital'? You mean there's only one?"
Perhaps because with the NHS (National Health Service), we get free health care. Therefore, we can go to multiple hospitals (rather than being tied to one hospital by having to pay for it), and may be referred to different ones for different things by our doctor. So, we're going to hospital, because it could be a different one and we're not always going to the same one .http://ask.metafilter.com/32912/BritishEnglish-accent-question
- A man originally from Transylvania came to our apt. to fix our dryer & was really excited to meet an American. He smiled & shook my hand and said I was the first American he had met. It is surprising to me how excited people seem when they find out we are from the U.S.
It was Thanksgiving here yesterday. We had a traditional Thanksgiving dinner at one of his co-worker's house. We are super excited tonight, as we leave for Brent & Paola's wedding in Puerto Rico tomorrow....we have to leave the house at 3am, so I need to go to sleep. Neither one of us has ever been to a destination wedding or to PR. Brent was our roommate in Illinois and we have since gone to multiple conferences/trips with them & spent a couple fun weekends at their home in Michigan. Paola went to middle school, high school, and college in Puerto Rico, so she is returning to a familiar area for their wedding. Eric is standing up for them and we are feeling very thankful that we are able to celebrate with them!!
Interesting stuff. I like the semi-random tidbits. Onesies is actually a brand trademark owned by Gerber. Sort of like Kleenex vs tissue. I think I learned the hospital thing from all the British stuff I read in college. Didn't know they said it that way in Canada, too.
ReplyDelete