January 19, 2012

The Happiness Project


I just finished reading this awesome book called  
The Happiness Projectsee at Amazon
It was so fun to read....I took away a lot of fun ideas & thoughts.  It's a quick read, as you can skim a few areas of lesser interest, but I loved the content!  It made me really excited!

Jane posted about this book awhile ago; I was somewhat interested, but at the end of 2011, she stated that her favorite book of the year was this book.  She reads a lot; so if this was her favorite, then I knew I had to try it out. 

Happy people are more forgiving, helpful, & charitable, have better self-control, and are more tolerate of frustration than unhappy people, while unhappy people are more often withdrawn, defensive, antagonistic, & self-absorbed. .....from research done by Gretchen Rubin

I love that it's not for people who are unhappy or depressed (although those who are could definitely take something away), but ways/insights for everyone to learn from to make each day the best it can be.  You can be happy right now & still learn from this book!!
 
This certainly won't ruin it for you, because everyone will take away different things, but my favorites were these:


  • We tend to think that we'll be slightly happier in the future than we are in the present.    

  • Aggressively expressing anger doesn't relieve anger, it amplifies it.
  • It is by studying little things that we attain the great art of having as little misery, and as much happiness as possible.
  • We presume we act because of the way we feel, in fact we often feel because of the way we act.
  • One lady's advice:  On sunny days I think, "great" a good day to be outdoors & on gray days I think "great" a good day to be indoors.
  • Avoid (or at least limit) eating fake food. 
  • Always use the good stuff.   What are you saving it for?  

There were so many great examples, and at times I was thinking....I've done that, or that is so true, or has this woman read my mind?  I do the last one all the time.....save the good lotion, save the good food (& then it spoils), save the nice dishes, etc.  I have a set of Christmas dessert plates with cute reindeer I received from Eric's aunts years ago and I love them.  I thought I was so special for getting them because they are from Pottery Barn, but have never used them, as I am saving them for something.  She has a section on spending and budgeting and the relationship with happiness.  Spending money wisely on things you love, what a concept, can increase happiness.

Overall, a fun read.

2 comments:

  1. Thank u for sharing that -goes on my wish list! Never can be too HAPPY!!! So cool:-) Luv, Judy P/s. I might get it sooner as I have time now:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I believe this proves you should have just bought the sweatshirt from lululemon in Banff. I have no regrets, except for the fact that one of my buddies continues to point out that the lululemon logo is the silhouette of a woman's head. I keep telling myself it is an artistic horseshoe.

    ReplyDelete

Please comment & say hi!