February 12, 2012

Back to the real world...

I am pleased to announce that I will finally be starting a job on Jan 3, Jan. 15, Jan. 30, Feb. 13th!  My start date has been changed three times due to work visa delays, but now I am good to go!  I am so thankful that my job was willing to wait for me....well, I think it is either wait for me or have no one, as OTs are in a shortage here.  Either way, works for me.

I'm starting at one of the three hospitals in town in orthopedics, temporary covering a maternity leave. Perfect!  In the health region, OTs are hired by the region & then placed temporarily where the need is, at any hospital, clinic, or other center within the region.  There are other private companies, like clinics, but the main hospitals are in the "region."  Eventually, once a health care worker is in the system, one can see what positions are open internally & apply for a place to work more permanently.  I think this system is really interesting, as it makes for very flexible workers & you get a taste of a variety of areas/departments.

My process towards work was extremely long & draining, as I had to take the Canadian certification exam, similar to what I had to take post college in the U.S.  It was nerve-wracking to review everything again, but some things were well worth the review & a few topics "came together" in my head better than before.  I remember walking out of the U.S. exam in 2006 & saying " I am so glad I never have to take that again."  I could not believe that 5+ years later I was sitting in a room taking another board exam!  Anyway, I was so relieved to have passed!!   I also had to have my degree checked to ensure I went to a legit university and that process was way longer than I would have liked, but it is now done.  

I am looking forward to working again and to see how the Canadian health system differs, even though I will barely get started and have to leave for my own maternity leave.

Eric continues to really enjoy his job.  Last semester he taught a grad class on agribusiness research.  He had a grand total of seven students, all women.  This semester he has a 100 level agriculture course with 230 students (not all women).  He told them on the first day that he felt he was running for mayor, as the town he grew up in only had a population of about 230.  I think he is relating to the students well, adding a lot of real-life examples and YouTube clips, etc.  He generally throws in a few jokes or other stories to break up the lecture.  Sometimes the stories relate to the topic, sometimes they don't.  He teaches a lot about food and understanding marketing and packaging in relation to farming.  I even think it sounds interesting.

1 comment:

  1. Yay! Congrats!! And the real life saga continues....Nah,it's sounds great to be around peers again! I do miss that "family" feel at work. However I have come to know who Judy is again-and I like her:-)Looking forward to be able to do some things for myself that I had no time or energy for,in the past, I can do when I retire.ie:(join gym, garden, reading, entertaining, traveling)all very self fulfilling:)The Dr. hasn't released me yet-should be healed totally in couple weeks & then we will see what's what! This the slowest healing fx ever!Still feels stiff & weird:/ So...w/that said,blessings & good fortune to u as you enter the arena once again! Helping people have a better quality of health/life is certainly worth going back to.Heather you are already blessed w/the calling,so it will be "piece of cake:)"Lives are waiting to be touched by you:) Eric- have fun-sounds like you're the kind of teacher every student can relate to & never forgets! They may even learn something:-) Keep up the good work guys! Life is what you make of it:)Go get em! Blessings, Judy

    ReplyDelete

Please comment & say hi!