February 20, 2012

Working & Skating.

We had one of the busiest weeks since we've moved here, but it was great.  I had three days of a very thorough all staff orientation, including training to learn about the Aboriginal culture, specific transfer training and joining the union.  I then started in the ortho therapy dept. at the hospital Thru & Fri, meeting with the manager going over codes, policies, and shadowing two of the OTs.  I'll shared more of the differences in the health care and therapy end of things when I learn a bit more.

My days have been a bit of Trains, Planes, and Automobiles, trying to figure out the best ways to get to and from work.  There is no parking for staff at the hospital without walking at least 20 min, so Eric got a parking spot at the university and can drop me off in the mornings (the hosp. is luckily just over the river from the university).  After my job, I can catch a free staff shuttle to the other hospital which is on campus and then walk 10 min. to Eric's office.  I took a couple different routes to get it down to 10 min.  One of my options is walking through the building tunnel system, which is nice in rain or snow.  If I miss the last shuttle, it's about a 45 min walk.  Not the worst way to end the day; much preferred to sitting in traffic.  As a whole, I was very pleased with my first week.

Laundry and meals took a back seat this week.  Eric even jokingly commented mid-week "what happened to my laundry lady?"  It really was quite easy to keep up with when I was home. 

Eric went ice skating on Monday night at a free skating rink downtown, where you can also check out skates for free.  His first experience was last week and he is already seeing some improvement.  I didn't join, since I haven't skated for a long time and didn't want to risk falling down.  Eric's a great sport with sharing his skills through video.  Enjoy.



Just starting out.  A lady later asked if she could use the walker for her child.  Eric said yes, but commented that her son had much less distance to fall!












2 comments:

  1. Good choice with the hat, a baseball hat would have blown off at that speed! Sue F.

    ReplyDelete
  2. those are some sweet skating skillz!!!

    ReplyDelete

Please comment & say hi!