I am really enjoying my new job here. I have noticed a different work philosophy in Canada...in my opinion, it's more desirable.
I've only worked at one U.S. health care facility, but I did college fieldwork at a hospital and a school and what I've noticed here is staff are so much calmer and happier. I work with about 20 nurses and 14 or so therapy staff. I have seen nothing but positive attitudes; no complaints about policy, their work, or others. This has been really impressive to me. Everyone works hard, but no one seems to be in a rush or at least out to try to prove that they are working harder than others.
They really value "coffee time" or breaks. I often hear "going for coffee," and even telling each other "enjoy your coffee break." Eric said "coffee break" is also big at the university, meeting daily at 10am to meet for coffee (or not drink coffee, they just call it coffee break).
Some of this may be thanks to the union set-up, as over-time is not as common, staff are given at least 2 weeks vacation a year, and have to use the vacation or lose it. This creates an environment of well rested staff who have also had some get-a-way time (Saskatoonians are huge on this).
In the U.S., it seems that hard work is valued so much that a lot of people have many hours of vacation that they do not use. Or, businesses do not allow enough vacation time. My first year at my previous job, I had 5 vacation days & I worked every holiday (including Easter weekend, Christmas Eve, Day & Day after) and I didn't always get a trade day; instead overtime was just allowed. Not the healthiest work life. And I don't think this scenario is too uncommon in the U.S.
Sounds lovely. I currently am in the anti-version of your setting. Less staff, more stress, long hours. Sad. Miss you. Dawn
ReplyDelete