I've been leading an exercise class every Thursday morning at a retirement center, which gives me a chance to talk with some older locals. Today the topic was about Christmas, as I was asking if they decorate early since they don't have Thanksgiving in late Nov. (the answer is yes, they usually start decorating around mid-Nov). This lead to an interesting convo about their perceptions about American holiday celebrations.
They believe that Americans really go all out for Thanksgiving, but then do not celebrate Christmas as much. I told them that isn't the case where I am from, but I do agree Americans celebrate Thanksgiving more than Canadians. They figured that is because they adapted Thanksgiving from the Americans and moved their celebration up to their harvest time, around October 10th. They said they cannot believe all the hotels are full around Thanksgiving or the decorating and table spreads they see on American tv. I have heard the sentence, "yea, but Thanksgiving is way more important to you than Christmas" more than just today, so it must truly be what the people in Saskatchewan believe. I'm a bit curious to see how they go "all out" for Christmas.
Heather, still love the blog, gave us a good laugh!
ReplyDeleteThis post blows my mind. We go "all out" for Thanksgiving more than Christmas?! That is absurd! We decorate/celebrate Halloween even more than Thanksgiving, but not even close to the Christmas. How interesting they think that. I wonder what would give them that perception? Good stuff, Heather.
ReplyDelete